New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Susann
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  15:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are about my last hope of finding the information I have been looking for.....or..... maybe you can you tell me where to look.

I need proof

1) John Bailey and Elizabeth Walker were married.
2) Elizabeth Walker was the child of William Walker and Sara Snow.
If Elizabeth is not the child of William Walker and Sara Snow do you know who her parents were??????

John Bailey Sr. (Abt. 1664 Northumberland Co., VA - 1736 Westmoreland Co.)s/o Stephen Bailey (Abt. 1625 England - 1698 Westmoreland Co., Va)

The Will of Stephen Bailey is available on line and it links him to a John Bailey.

I'm also confused about Stephen's wife.....Mary Ann Jeffries Jeffers, she was also known as the Widow Walker???? Who was the Walker? Was he related to Sara Snows William Walker?

I hope you can help me clear up the mystery.

I sent in a Preliminary Review to the Mayflower Society and see below the reply..... "can only report what is and what is not accepted. If you feel you have discovered evidence, in primary records such as wills, probate records, deeds, town records, church records etc, that clearly proves that a marriage of Elizabeth Walker and John Bailey occurred and that the bride was the daughter of Sarah Snow and William Walker, please contact the Mayflower Society in the state of your choice and ask them to review your research."

Thanks for any help....st

Joe Bailey
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  10:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In “Bailey-Britton History and Genealogy” by T. H. Bailey of Kingsport, Tennessee (1962) there is the following statement: “In May 21, 1660*, he (Stephen Bailey) married in Northumberland County, Ann, widow of William Walker…..” The noted asterisk is “Entry by William Jeffers May 21, 1660”.

Joe Bailey
8th Great Grandson of Stephen Bailey(?)
Norcross, GA
Go to Top of Page

Catwilch
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Elizabeth Walker (that married John Bailey Jr.) is NOT the daughter of Sara Snow. I checked with the Historical Society in Mass. and they told me that Elizabeth Walker (daughter of Sara Snow) never married and is buried in Mass.

I do not have proof but I believe that our Elizabeth Walker is related to Ann Jeffers, Stephen Bailey's wife. She was married twice before she married Stephen Bailey with one husband named William Walker. William Walker had 3 sons.

Hope this helps you
Go to Top of Page

ewhite
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  11:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After buying into the name Elizabeth Walker because it made sense, I have to admit that I have found absolutely no PRIMARY source material verifying a person by that name as wife of John (Elder) Bailey. The records of Northumberland and Westmoreland counties in VA are silent on it. No wife was mentioned in John's will, so she must have predeceased him.

As to Walker, there is a very close family relationship over several generations. William Walker married Mary Jefers, b. 1632, widow of Sharpe. He died in c. 1656 and she married Stephen Bailey. The May 21, 1660 date is wrong. That was the date of a Northumberland Co. court hearing involving Stephen and young William Walker. They were married before then.

Walker's will and court documents make quite clear that the name was Mary, not Ann nor Mary Ann. William's son, William (II) sold Stephen Bailey land near Kinsale in 1672. He was raised by Stephen and Mary. In addition there was another son of William (I) Walker also named William who was the son of Mary Jefers. He owned land on which Stephen and Mary lived (her life estate) prior to 1672.

I have all of the sources and would be glad to share them.

Edward White
ewhite9159@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bailey History Forums © 1997-2014 Fairview Systems Go To Top Of Page